Traveling has always been my great love. I’m so inspired visiting new places, learning about different cultures, seeing amazing sights, and tasting foods from all over! It has been a challenge to travel since my little ones so I soak up what I can though books, shows, and especially through the tales of my favorite people!
This week my beautiful cousin returned from a trip visiting Abu Dhabi. I was so excited to hear about all of her travels, I invited her over for breakfast the next day. Looking around my kitchen that night, I realized I hadn’t been grocery shopping in a week and I needed to get creative! I always have some kinds of vegetables on hand and I started piecing together what I did have and ended up with a pretty delicious meal.
First I sliced a golden potato in thick rounds and roasted them in the oven.
Next I looked around for whatever vegetables I had laying around. I had a handful of mixed greens – a blend of baby spinach, kale, and chard, a few snacking bell peppers, and some cherry tomatoes. I mixed them all with a simple dressing and set them aside.
I made crispy fried eggs and then stacked everything so that the potato and vegetables would soak up all of that delicious runny egg.
With variations for the little ones, of course!
I made fruit cups to accompany the egg stacks by quickly chopping some frozen fruits and topping with sliced almonds, coconut cream, bee pollen, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Delicious breakfast complete! I was able to sit back and enjoy stories of beautifully intricate mosques, tall buildings, tea times (according to my cousin – Abu Dhabi has the best scones in the world), and over-the-top Friday brunches.
Breakfast Egg Stacks
- 1 golden potato
- 2 cups greens (I used a mix of baby spinach, kale, and chard)
- ½ cup sliced bell pepper
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2-4 eggs (1-2 per person)
- 3 tsp garlic & herb seasoning blend (divided)
- 1 ½ TBS ghee (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Slice the potato into thick rounds. Place in a medium mixing bowl with 1 TBS ghee and 2 tsp garlic & herb blend.
- Roast the rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are crispy.
- Mix the greens, peppers, and tomatoes in a small mixing bowl. Add a splash of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt and toss to coat.
- Heat a frying pan and add ½ TBS ghee.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and top with 1 tsp garlic & herb blend.
- Fry eggs until edges are crispy and white is set but yolk is still soft.
- On a plate, place two potato rounds, top with a handful of salad mixture, and place egg(s) on top.