Yesterday I made some yummy roasted carrots with dinner. I washed the carrots but did not peel them. I like to leave the peel on when the root is organic to make sure I’m taking advantage of the nutrients in the soil. If I do peel the carrots then I save the peels to flavor broth down the road.
I try to use every part of the vegetable I can, especially when it is organic. The biggest road block for me has been taking the time for the extra step to make something different with different parts of the same vegetable. If I’m making simple roasted carrots with dinner I don’t want to take the time to make carrot top pesto – even if it is easy and delicious.
When I chopped off the greens yesterday I decided to try something different. I separated any thick stems and tossed all the greens in the freezer.
With extra frozen greens this morning, I tried them out in a smoothie. They added an herby sweetness to the smoothie which I loved!
Here is what I used to make a single serving blueberry and carrot top smoothie. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen kale
- 1/4 cup frozen carrot tops
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 1/2 tsp spirulina powder
- Sprinkle of bee pollen and hemp seeds (optional as toppings)
- Add all ingredients (except toppings) to a blender.
- Blend on high speed to desired consistency, scraping down sides as needed.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and add your favorite toppings.